It's hard to believe that I've already been in this country for four days. Accomplishments this week:
- Got a cell phone.
- Went to the fabric market (see pictures below)
- Rode in both an angkot and a becak (once again, see pictures below)
- Experienced our first power outage here. Makes you really appreciate the fans and AC in our bedroom.
- Got to meet our neighbors when we showered at their house because our water wasn't working while we didn't have power.
- Was told by several natives that I look Asian. Even Asians think I look Asian...
- Bought groceries, including rice, chocolate cereal strongly resembling coco puffs (good to know I'm eating healthy, right? :p), guava juice, and double-stuffed oreos
Things I'm having to get used to:
- The spicy foods.. apparently I'm not as used to even a little bit of spice as I thought.
- Being woken up every morning at 5 am by the call to pr-er... and hearing it four other times throughout the day.
- Using only my right hand for eating, giving, and receiving
- Everyone driving on the left side of the road... actually just the driving in general.
- Hearing everything that goes on around outside our house - currently, there's a man who keeps laughing like "hee heeehehehehe." It's actually quite funny. But when it's loud college students at 2 am, not so much.
And lastly, the pictures I promised:
 |
| My house for the next three months |
|
|
 |
| A becak (bay-chuck) - their version of a taxi |
 |
| They play nerts! |
 |
My first meal - Mmmmm...
 |
| Fabric market |
|
|
|
|
"Thus says the Lord: 'Let not the wise man boast in his wisdom, let not the mighty man boast in his might, let not the rich man boast in his riches, but let him who boasts boast in this, that he understands and knows me, that I am the Lord who practices steadfast love, justice, and righteousness in the earth. For in these things I delight, declares the Lord.'" - Jer. 9:23-24
Love you!
ReplyDeleteThe pics are awesome! You do look Asian :) Cool. Still jealous. :) But excited for you. Lucky snot :)
ReplyDelete