Tuesday, January 24, 2012

faces from the pasar

I love these people. Now that I've gotten over the initial anxiety of being stared and yelled at all the time, I actually really enjoy walking down to the pasar (market) and talking to the people there. Since I'm moving in less than two weeks, Morgan and I walked down and took pictures of some of the people down there.



Meet Dinar. She is probably the most eager person I've met yet who wants to help us with our language. Photo by Morgan.


I watched these men play chess the other day while Morgan talked to Dinar. There's a group of six or so who get together every day and play right next to Dinar's flower booth. After establishing that it was culturally okay with Dinar for me to sit and talk to them, I joined them at their table. I talked to a sweet pak (older man) named Obi for a long time about pretty much everything I know how to talk about.

Today, when we walked down there, I was thrilled to see Obi watching the other paks play, as usual. As we were talking, he said to me in broken English, "You like daughter to me." If I wasn't about to cry before, I am now. (sigh)

1 comment:

  1. One of my favorite blogs yet! Love the cut- you look very happy :)

    Also loved the pictures of Dinar & her flowers. The story of Obi was especially moving.

    Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete